About the UDC
The United Daughters of the Confederacy is the outgrowth of many local memorial, monument, and Confederate home associations and auxiliaries to camps of United Confederate Veterans that were organized after the War Between the States. It is the oldest patriotic organization in our country because of its connection with two statewide organizations that came into existence as early as 1890 — the Daughters of the Confederacy (DOC) in Missouri and the Ladies’ Auxiliary of the Confederate Soldiers Home in Tennessee.
The National Association of the Daughters of the Confederacy was organized in Nashville, Tenn., on September 10, 1894, by founders Mrs. Caroline Meriwether Goodlett of Nashville and Mrs. Anna Davenport Raines of Georgia. At its second meeting in Atlanta, Ga., in 1895, the Organization changed its name to the United Daughters of the Confederacy. The United Daughters of the Confederacy was incorporated under the laws of the District of Columbia on July 18, 1919.
Membership is open to women no less than 16 years of age who are blood descendants, lineal or collateral, of men and women who served honorably in the Army, Navy or Civil Service of the Confederate States of America, or gave Material Aid to the Cause.
Dixie: The Original
Chartered June 1917
The original Dixie was organized in Tempe, Arizona by Mrs. Nellie H. Woods. It was chartered on June 11th of 1917. The Dixie Chapter was very active during World War I in patriotic activities. In conjunction with the Robert E. Lee Chapter, they furnished a bed in a hospital in France that was turned into an orphanage after the war. Dixie was disbanded in 1949. Their last payment to the UDC was in 1948.
Presidents of Dixie
|Tenure Period||Name of President|
|1917-1918||Mrs. Nellie H. Woods|
|1927-1928||Mrs. Eva McCullough|
|1928-1930||Mrs. J. C. Robbins|
|1932-1934||Mrs. J. C. Robbins|
|1938-1939||Mrs. J. C. Robbins|
|1940-1941||Mrs. Eva McCullough|
|1941-1942||Mrs. William Gates|
|1942-1943||Mrs. Della Wimberly|
|2008-2010||Mrs. Carol Dustin|
|2010-present||Mrs. Yolanda McDonald|
Dixie: The Sequel
Rechartered April 2008
Dixie Chapter #1679 was reactivated and chartered in Tempe, AZ
on April 15, 2008, with 10 members and Mrs. Carol Dustin, as the Chartering President.
|Dolores Aszman||absent||Lewis Henry Tomlinson||AR|
|Barbara Brai||present||Ambrose Culpepper||AL|
|Elizabeth Chain, PhD||present||Richard Durrett Simms||VA|
|Janet Dempsey||present||Lewis Henry Tomlinson||AR|
|Carol Dustin||present||Lewis Henry Tomlinson||AR|
|Mary Anne Hammond||present||Ebenezer Printiss Stewart||MS|
|Marian Hulka||present||Henry W. Kiger||NC|
|June Kern||absent||Lewis Henry Tomlinson||AR|
|Stephanie Troth||absent||John Wagnon||LA|
|Carolyn Sue Wall||present||William Wallace Whitsett||TN|
The presence of links to outside websites does not imply endorsement, approval, or concurrence by the United Daughters of the Confederacy on any level.
The name ‘United Daughters of the Confederacy’ is a registered trademark of the General Organization and may not be used outside the Organization without the express written consent of the United Daughters of the Confederacy. The official UDC insignia is a registered trademark of the General Organization and may not be used without the express written consent of the President General.
Images used on this site are copyrighted works. Whenever possible, permission for non-commercial use has been obtained from the original copyright holders. When obtaining permission was not possible, the works have been sufficiently altered or incorporated into original imagery so as to create original works. We are not responsible for any violation of copyright enacted by a contributor to this site. If you feel a copyright has been violated, please contact an officer to serve a take-down notice.